Tuesday, May 22, 2012

New Design: Red Oak, Hard Maple, Zebra Wood, and Wenge.


New design

I had a request to build a net for someone’s son. The net is going to be a birthday gift, so I wanted to do something a little different. After a few emails back and forth I had an idea of what the person was looking for, and I got to work. A clear rubber Brodin Ghost bag was requested. I bent the hoop out of Red Oak, and put a middle lamination of hard Maple. The handle is made from an African hardwood called Zebra Wood. The laminations on the side of the handle are made from another African hardwood called Wenge. It’s neat to see this net finished, and to think that 4 different hardwoods grew on four different trees, and 2 different continents only to find themselves glued together for the purpose of landing fish. As my friend, and recipient of this net would say: “Blue skies to your fishing”.



Tip: When bending small laminations of hardwood simply soak them over night, and then put them in the microwave for 2 minutes. They bend just like they would if you steamed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment